Thursday, April 11, 2013

Trying to force something into something it's not.



                                       The first time I saw this fabric I knew what it would be. I had been inspired by Dolce & Gabbana's 2012 S/S Ready-to-Wear with the beautiful fruit and vegetable printed fabrics and the pasta inspired jewelry.  I had sketched out "Natalia" many times in my head but never did I commit to anything until now.  Every Spring the Fashion Department holds their annual Spring Fashion Show and students are required to participate. Depending on the class/es you are taking in the Spring determines the type of garment you need to create. This year I am in Pattern 1 which means I have to sketch, illustrate and create technical flats for my design as well as draft the pattern and sew it up.  Finally! Natalia would have her day on the runway! Then came the caveat...it has to have sleeves. (dum dum da dum) Natalia was never intended to have sleeves.


She was to be the epitome of silver haired Italian chic without sleeves.  Since the sleeve sentence was handed down I have had nothing but problems.  Then Tuesday the melt down came. Putting Natalia and the sleeves together were like putting two equal ends of a magnet together, not going to happen.  I put grandma's wisdom to work and I walked away from it. Thankfully I have pneumonia to keep me preoccupied, ok maybe I could do without the lung fungus to occupy me but it's here and well, for a day I let Natalia be.
      The the morning dawned. Ok it was more like a text at 6 am that woke me from a vicodin stuper but nonetheless the sun was shining and I was forced to look at Natalia (who is now in pieces again because I ripped her apart stitch by stitch) and I decided she's not going to have sleeves, she was never meant to have them, I never in my dreams designed her to have them, so plain and simple she is NOT going to have them! That's a weight off my shoulders with an exception, I will be docked points and she's worth 400 of them and I need to keep my sparkling 4.0 GPA. The only solution for this is to create Daphne, the sleeve girl. 

 So back to the sketching, drawing, technical flat illustrating, pattern drafting, fabric selecting drawing board I go. For the record I HATE sleeves!

Oh and one other thing, The fashion show is April 25th and today's the 11th squish in a full time job and as Murphy will have it things will crop up in between like spikes in a gauntlet but I'm alright with stress, it's failure that I can't handle.

No comments:

Post a Comment